DeskManager is able to track labor expenses in two ways:
- Parts in the Service tab,
- Or using Third-Party Payroll software.
In DeskManager, labor is added to service worksheets and invoices in the same way any parts are added to a worksheet or invoice.
Adding a New Service Employee
- To add a new Service Employee, in the top left click New -> Part.
- For the Part #, enter the name of the employee.
- For the Category, select Labor.
- In the Unit Price, enter the amount that the employee is paid, and in the Selling Price, enter the amount that the customer is charged for the employee’s labor.
- Set the Quantity to 0.
- Next, if Third-Party Payroll software is being used, then leave Non-Inventory Item checked.
- If DeskManager is being used to track labor, uncheck Non-Inventory Item.
- If there is a Labor Vendor, click the dropdown menu next to Labor Vendor and select the appropriate vendor.
- Next, click Save in the top right.
Adding a New Labor Expense to an Invoice
- Click the Invoices tab on the left.
- Then either double-click on an existing invoice, or click New to create a new invoice.
- Click the Paper icon in the bottom left, then click Add Labor…
- Under Part Number, type the name of the employee, then press Tab on the keyboard and the Selling Price will fill in.
- Under Qty/Hours, enter the amount of hours the employee worked.
- For example, if he worked 1 hour and 45 minutes, enter 1.75.
- In the Description field, type what the service was that was done on the vehicle.
- In the Remedy/Cure field, type any other pertinent information regarding this particular labor expense.
- The Total will be shown in the bottom right. Click the button with two arrows to show a breakdown of the total.
- Click Save.
- The labor expense will be listed at the bottom of the invoice, and the labor total will be listed on the right.
- Adding the labor expense will subtract the quantity (hours) from the total quantity for the service employee, so his quantity will be negative.
- The negative quantity represents how much is owed to the service employee.
- When the service employee is paid, go to the Service tab, then click the Parts tab.
- Double-click the name of the service employee who was paid.
- On the right, under Last Purchase, enter the amount of hours the service employee was paid for in Purchase Qty, then click Save.
- If the service employee was paid in full for all their labor, the quantity will now total as 0.